NEUROTOXIN PRE & POST CARE PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS
- For optimal results and to minimize the chance of bleeding or bruising at the injection site, please avoid all blood thinning medications and supplements for one week prior to your treatment. This includes aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as ibuprofen, Motrin and Aleve and wells as high does of vitamin-E and Omega-3 fish oil. If you take aspirin or other blood thinners on your doctor's advice or orders, do not stop taking your medication.
- Please notify us in advance if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix or any other blood thinner for a medical condition.
- Immediately following toxin injection, the most commonly reported side effects are temporary redness and swelling at the injection site. Cold gel/ice packs may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling.
- To avoid a bruise, refrain from taking blood thinning medications (see above) for several days after.
- Tylenol (acetaminophen) is recommended if you need a pain relieving medication.
- You may use Arnica gel and/or sublingual pellets.
To maximize your results after your neurotoxin treatment:
- Avoid direct high heat to the treated area for at least 24 hours.
- Do NOT go in a sauna or steam room for the first 24 hours.
- Do NOT massage injection sites. You may exercise facial muscles (squinting/scowling) for 4-8 hours following your procedure. NOTE: Muscle contraction is not necessary for neurotoxins to take effect.
Possible side effects include:
- Mild headache
- Bruising at injection site
- A sensation of "numbness" or tingling at the injection site
- Feeling of pressure or fullness at injection site
- Droopy eyelid (ptosis) - If this side effect occurs, please call the office as soon as possible.
Follow up appointment: Muscles injected with neurotoxin will show resistance to movement within 3-7 days, but results can take up to 14 days for the full effect. If the desired effect has not occurred by day 14 and you have been treated with the recommended number of units, a touch-up treatment or additional toxin units may be needed. Please call to schedule an appointment.
Neurotoxins last, on average, 3-4 months. It is recommended at the time of your treatment to schedule your next appointment for optimal anti-aging benefits.
All of the above side effects are temporary and will resolve as neurotoxin is metabolized. However, please call the office to notify us if you experience any of the above side effects.